The Minnesota Geological Survey is a research and service arm of the Newton Horace Winchell School of Earth Sciences at the University of Minnesota. It investigates the geology of Minnesota and provides basic public information on the geology of the state. The Survey works with state, county, and regional offices to set up geologic data bases and provide technical guidance for water resource planning, land management and mineral exploration policy, energy system development, and other planning and resource management activities.
- We have moved to a new location! Our new office location is now at 2609 Territorial Rd., St. Paul, MN 55114. Please email us at Email MGS for directions or to make an appointment for the map sales department.
- The Search or Browse link under Data and Publications now takes you directly to the Univeristy's Digital Conservancy. This search and browse has a slightly different look but still contains all of the Survey's publications. Enjoy.
- Earthquakes in Minnesota? You betcha! We are getting our fair shake. Check out the update in our Minnesota at a Glance publication.
- A Hydrochemical Survey of Groundwater Flow in the Rochester Metropolitan Area, Minnesota Open file report/data
- Changes in the stratigraphic nomenclature for the CWI.